Sunday, August 7, 2011

Loviatar No. 2 Playtest Report

Years ago a d20 publisher wrote something to the effect of, "How can you be a writer of role-playing game material if you aren't playing the games you're write about?" Well said! With that in mind, I had a chance to test out one of the articles that will appear in Loviatar No. 2.

    The article is called "Number Three Pigeon Street." The article describes a ramshackle home with an attic full of dire bats. A colorful cast of characters calls the rickety edifice home, including a brewer of potions, a spy for the Thieves Guild and a pantsless Bard with an eye for seduction and a free meal. It's a location ripe for role-playing, investigation and just a bit of combat.

     Overall, the experience went very well. Based upon my players' actions, there is probably more information than a GM will need, I feel it's better to have too much information than too little, though. I am a stickler for detail, I guess. Also, I noticed that some of the Perception check DCs were set a bit too high. There are some interesting bits of trivia scattered about the house. If PCs are unable to find the nuggets, then what's the point? Therefore, I adjusted the DCs downward to allow the PCs a better chance of gaining insight into the workings of the house.

     All in all, the article is solid and I think you will enjoy it a great deal, regardless of what edition of D&D you play.

No comments:

Post a Comment